Back when this whole Covid mess started and everyone was being sent home, I took a couple days to cut fabric into strips. 2-inch strips. It helped bring my fabric storage down, but then I had to make those strips into something. It turns out the narrowness of the strip means you will be sewing a LOT of strips or tiny squares. More time consuming than I prefer to invest–once I start something, I like to finish it–not have it waiting for me every evening or weekend to slog away on.
The beauty of the around-the-world pattern is you work with strips, even though it appears you work with squares. So it’s not quite as time-intensive as it would appear.
I’d make a couple blocks at a time, and then switch over to making a log-cabin block just to keep me interested. I wasn’t sure what I would do with the log-cabins, but since I was using the same fabrics, I knew they would blend in with the around-the-world blocks.
I found these variegated Perle cottons on close-out at Michael’s, and thought I might try hand-quilting a bit since the colors seemed to match the project.
As expected, I did get bored of sewing all the blocks, and just added on the log-cabins to make the quilt a little bit larger. I just couldn’t face piecing any more of those around-the-world ones. So much ironing!
I kept the colors limited to neutrals, but added a pop of yellow or pink just to shake things up. I was careful not to add very much pop, and I think it worked out okay.
It’s very satisfying to sew on the label and say, “Finished!” I bought the label through an Etsy seller, there are a lot of them out there.
Maybe one day I will start logging how much time it takes to make one of these things, because I know I grossly underestimate! It would be nice to know, but then on the other hand, I think if I knew in advance, I probably would give up right there.
It makes me want to say, “And that’s how I spent my summer!” But really, I did a whole lot of other things, too. 😉